Advanced audio coding file definition and linked programs information.
How to open AAC Files
File extension aac is used by following file type(s):
Default file extension for .aac file type: Advanced audio coding file
Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format
Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a lossy digital audio compression format. Because of its exceptional performance and quality, AAC is at the core of the MPEG-4, 3GPP and 3GPP2 specifications and is the audio codec of choice for Internet, wireless and digital broadcast arenas.
AAC was designed as an improved-performance codec relative to MP3 (which was specified in MPEG-1 and MPEG-2) by the ISO/IEC in 11172-3 and 13818-3.
AAC provides audio encoding that compresses much more efficiently than older formats, such as MP3 or OGG, yet delivers quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio.
Features of AAC format
AAC was promoted as the successor to MP3 for audio coding at medium to high bitrates. When compared side-by-side, AAC proves itself worthy of replacing MP3 as the new Internet audio standard the advantages over MP3 are:
- Improved compression provides higher-quality results with smaller file sizes.
- Support for multichannel audio, providing up to 48 full frequency channels.
- Higher resolution audio, yielding sampling rates up to 96 kHz.
- Improved decoding efficiency, requiring less processing power for decode.
History of AAC
Advanced Audio Coding was developed with the cooperation and contributions of companies mainly including Dolby, Fraunhofer (FhG), AT&T, Sony and Nokia, and was officially declared an international standard by the Moving Pictures Experts Group in April of 1997.
AAC was written into specification as Part 7 of the MPEG-2 standard, and again into Part 3 of the MPEG-4 standard. As such, AAC can be referred to as MPEG-2 Part 7 and MPEG-4 Part 3 depending on its implementation, but is most often referred to as MPEG-4 AAC, or AAC for short.
However, MP4 usually refers to the format described in MPEG-4 Part 14, which is a container format for carriage of video and audio data.
Programs that open aac files:
- Adobe Soundbooth
- Agree MP3 to Ringtone Converter
- Aimersoft DRM Media Converter for Windows
- Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Mac
- Aimersoft Video Converter for Mac (Apple OS X)
- ALLPlayer (Microsoft Windows)
- Any Audio Converter
- Apple iTunes for Mac (Apple OS X)
- Apple iTunes
- Apple QuickTime (Microsoft Windows)
- DVD Ripper+Video Converter Ultimate
- Free Mp3 Wma Converter
- Freemake Video Converter
- ImTOO DPG Converter
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Movavi Audio Suite Personal
- Movavi DVD Ripper for Mac
- MPlayer (Microsoft Windows)
- MPlayer for Linux (Linux)
- MPlayer for Mac
- Play (Apple OS X)
- RealPlayer (Microsoft Windows)
- Roxio Toast Titanium(Apple OS X)
- Ultimate Video Converter(Microsoft Windows)
- USB Flash Drive for iOS (iOS)
- VLC media player
- VLC media player for Linux
- VLC media player for Mac
- Winamp (Windows)
- Xilisoft iPod Rip
- Xilisoft Video Converter
- Xine (Linux)
- xrecode (Windows)