- Extension: .DAT
- File type: Miscellanous Data
- Description: The data file definition and other types and linked programs information.
- Developer: N/A (many)
- Format: binary and text data file
What is a dat file? If you have a File with the .DAT Extension you need specific programs that can open, edit, read, view and convert this dat file format type. Specific software that you can download like an editor, opener viewer or a dat file reader.
What is a .DAT File
A .DAT file content format is text or binary data.
The dat files extension are usually created by a program and you can also view it from the proprietary software. There is not any specific dat file reader for this type. However, there are many file types that we will see below.
Programs to Open DAT Files
The first step is to use double click on the file or tap in the file icon. If windows finds a program associated with the extension It will launch it.
If it doesn’t recognise it it means you don’t have installed the reader software needed for read and opening data files in your PC or mobile device. You should download a program that can manage this file format.
When opening data files you should try first the original program that created it as a reader. If you don’t know which is or you don’t have it you can try with these text reader and viewer programs downloads:
- Price: Program Included with Microsoft Windows PC
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-notepad/9msmlrh6lzf3
- Price: Program included with Microsoft Windows PC
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/excel
Notepad Plus plus
- Price: Free
- Downloads: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/
- Price: Included with Microsoft Windows
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/word
How to open DAT Files
.Dat files can always be opened using the notepad and Notepad plus application; however, depending on the type, data objects may not be readable.
- First, right-click on the .file with the dat extension you wish to open.
- Then, select “Open”.
- Then, choose “Notepad or Notepad plus” from the list of available programs.
- Finally, click on the “Accept” option.
Generic Steps for Windows
- Locate the dat file in your computer or mobile device.
- Double click on it.
- Select a program in the open with dialog. You should select the proprietary software that created it.
- View it and edit it.
- If you don’t have the program installed you have to download it and install it.
- There are not generic dat viewers, readers or editors. However you can try with a generic text editor like notepad. If you don’t know which is the propetary software a text editor will be the best option to edit and view dat files
dat file in Microsoft Excel
- First, launch microsoft excel
- Then, Rename the .dat files to .xls or .xlsx
- Open it with Microsoft Excel
dat file In Microsoft Word
- First, launch microsoft word
- Then, Rename the dat file to .doc or .docx
- Open it with Microsoft word
To learn more about all the file extension dat types, applications and how to view them keep reading.
File Extension .DAT type
The file extension dat is used by following type(s) and applications:
Data file Common and mostly used .dat type
It is traditionally used by many various applications or programs for their data or resource files.
Related programs that open dat files:
Video CD MPEG movie MPEG1 dat file
Common and mostly used .dat type Video CD MPEG movie MPEG1. Extension used for some MPEG files.
Related programs that open dat files:
- Need4 Video Converter,
- Xilisoft DVD Creator,
- Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac, Wondershare Video Converter for Mac, PowerDVD,
- Nero Multimedia Suite
Act of War game dat file
Package contains game data (music, textures, sounds, models, maps).
Related programs readers that open dat files
- Dragon UnPACKer,
- Act of War
Antivirus data file
Used by many antivirus applications for virus descriptions and information (update files).
Related software to view and read:
- AVG Antivirus,
AOL Messenger (AIM) BFTS database dat file
Used by AOL (AIM) Instant Messenger 6 for database .
Related software to view and read:
- AOL Messenger (AIM)
Apple Safari dictionary dat file
Dictionary file used by Safari.
Clarion DOS database dat file
Database file used by Clarion.
Related software to read:
Corel WordPerfect merge data file
It is associated with Corel WordPerfect, a word processing program, developed by Corel Corporation. Corel Word Perfect is part of Corel Word Perfect Office suite.
The .dat files are used to store merge data.
- Corel WordPerfect,
- Corel WordPerfect Office
LabVIEW binary datalog file
Binary datalog used by LabVIEW.
Related software to read:
LEGO Star Wars game archive dat file
Archive contains LEGO Star Wars files (maps, objects, sprites, sounds).
- Dragon UnPACKer, LEGO Star Wars
MapInfo native format data file
Native map data format used by MapInfo.
Microsoft Internet Explorer cache dat file
If the page has changed, your browser retrieves a new version over the network. If the page hasn’t changed, your browser uses the cache files from your RAM or hard drive to display the page. For example, Internet Explorer caches Web pages to both memory (RAM) and disk (hard drive) until the respective cache is full.
But, if you’ve viewed lots of Web pages, you may have an overloaded hard disk cache. Internet Explorer will have to check before it loads a new page.
Over time your browser’s cache grows. A cache full of outdated information is worse than no cache at all. It causes problems with Java applets. Also, it causes you to see out of date text or images. And makes your browser sluggish starting and exiting. The solution is to clear out the cache.
Related programs that open data file:
- Internet Explorer
Microsoft Word for DOS data
It is associated with Microsoft Word, worldwide most popular and powerful tool for writing documents.
The .dat files were used in Microsoft Word for DOS for some kind of data files.
- Microsoft Word
Mozilla Firefox plug-in register
It is used by Firefox.
Nero BackItUp drive image
Suffix for Nero BackItUp drive image. Nero BackItUp automatically backs up your files quickly and easily to your choice of storage media, and creates bootable discs to restore your system if the worst happens.
It includes full support for Windows Vista® virtual folders and built-in SecurDisc data protection features.
- Nero BackItUp
Skype local store
It is used by Skype for local store file.
Sony Digital Audio Tape
As the name suggests, the recording is digital rather than analog. DAT has the ability to record at higher, equal or lower sampling rates than a CD. (48, 44.1 or 32 kHz sampling rate ) at 16 bits quantization.
If a digital source then the DAT will produce an exact clone. In other digital media such as Digital Compact Cassette or non-Hi-MD MiniDisc, both use lossy data compression
The spot interface comprises an active region represented by a small graphical display element (GDE). It has the appearance of a sphere, which unless disabled by a user, is always visible regardless of which is the topmost window
When a mouse pointer is movedinto the spot GDE, a ring or collar having four radial quadrants representing menu items is displayed after waiting a user specified length of time.
around the GDE. When the mouse pointer>is moved into any of the four quadrants of the collar, a secondary rectangular interface associated with the quadrant is displayed after waiting a user specified length of time.<
The secondary interface may be lockedopened such that it will not close when the mouse pointer is movedout of area defined by the interface. Periodic animation of the spot GDE may be provided
SPOT image format
used by SPOT.
- SPOT images, XnView
TomTom traffic data
Traffic information used by TomTom applications, GPS navigations.
- TomTom Navigator
It is used by Trillian.
Unfinished FastTrack download
Unfinished download used by FastTrack clients, applications.
Related programs that open dat:
Windows registry hive
On-disk format for the Windows registry.
Related programs that open it:
- Microsoft Windows 7, 10, Vista, XP
Yahoo! Instant Messenger settings file
used by Yahoo! Instant Messenger, contains settings.
Related programs that open dat file:
- Yahoo! Instant Messenger
How to Open a Winmail.dat file in outlook
The Winmail.dat file contains mail format information in each email message. This is used by MIcrosoft Outlook to display the message.
Microsoft Outlook is the only mail program that uses winmail.dat format.
If you send your mails as plain text then you will not be sending winmail.dat
You can open winmail.dat files in iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac and Windows with the opener that you can find and download here https://www.winmaildat.com/
How to convert a DAT File online
There is not any universal online dat fileconverter but you can convert it to another format easily.
Convert dat file to XLS online
- First, rename the suffix to .XLS
- Then, try to view it with your xls reader
Convert dat file to PDF online
- First, rename the suffix to .pdf
- Then, try to view it with your pdf reader.
Convert dat file to DOC online
- First, rename the suffix to .doc or .docx
- Then, try to view with your doc viewer or Microsoft Word.
How to delete a dat file, is it safe?
You shouldn’t delete dat files or folders as they are from system. Unless you are sure the process that created it have finished. You may be deleting important data.
Is it not safe to remove it. If you are unsure don’t remove it.
How to create a dat file
There are not specific editors. You can use generic editors like notepad or noteplad plus plus. But the best option are the editors from the original type. Read the file extension types section above with all types.
Problems opening DAT Files: Can’t open
If you experience problems opening it, windows raises a message: “Microsoft Windows can’t open this file”
Ensure you follow the next tips:
- Ensure the extension is properly associated with the software when you double click on the file.
- Check that you have installed at least one of the programs need to manage these files.
- Update the program to get the last version.
- Ensure you have all the computer privileges, you are admin or you have all needed privileges.
Outlook data file cannot be opened
If you receive the error Outlook data file cannot be opened the solution is to add a new outlook data file and tell Outlook to use it:
- Open Outlook.
- Go to the menu File – Info – Account Settings
- Go to the Data Files tab.
- Click on Add button
- Choose a location for the new outlook data and name it.
- Click ok to save.
- Select the new file and click on Set as Default.
About .DAT extension
In filesextension.com we explain what is a file with the .dat suffix, how to edit, view, open and convert it.
The data files format can be opened with the programs above in windows, mac and linux.
Contact us through the contact page if you have additional information, comment or need help about the DAT File or software related.