- Extension: .gz
- File type: compression
- Description: GZIP compressed archive
- Developer: N/A
- Format: binary data
- MIME: application/x-compressed, application/x-gzip
Problems Opening GZ Files? If you have a File with the .gz Extension you need specific programs that can open, edit, view and convert this format type. Specific software like an editor, viewer or reader.
What is a .gz File
A gz file is a GZIP compressed archive used for GNU GZIP compressed archives, a standard archive format used on Unix/Linux based computers. There are several versions of this format, but the original was based on the DEFLATE algorithm, which is a combination of LZ77 and Huffman coding. It was first introduced in 1993.
It can also contain information about GIMP graphics and images files.
Programs to Open GZ Files
The first step is to use the double click method or tap in the file icon. If windows finds program associated with the extension GZ it will launch it.
If it doesn’t recognise it it means you don’t have installed the software needed for GZIP compressed archive in your PC or mobile device.
You can use the following software to open, view, edit and convert:
- 7-zip (Microsoft Windows)
- ALZip (Windows)
- EZ7z for Mac OS X
- IZArc (Microsoft Windows)
- PeaZip (multiplatform software)
- sArchiver (Apple OS X)
- The Unarchiver (Apple OS X)
- USB Flash Drive for iOS (iOS)
- Zipeg for Mac
- Blender (Microsoft Windows)
- GIMP (multiplatform software)
.gz related extensions
How to open GZ Files
- First, find your .gz file in your computer or mobile device.
- Then, you must double click on it if you are using a desktop computer, or tap on it with a mobile device.
- A drop down menu will appear with a list of programs to open with.
- Select one of the programs recommended above: 7-zip, winzip, winrar, Blender, Gimp
- Wait the software to launch.
- View the format.
- Save it if you want to keep it.
How to convert a gz File
We don’t have any information about gz conversion or any online converter to other formats.
Problems opening gZ Files: Can’t open?
If you experience problems opening it, windows raises a message: “Microsoft Windows can’t open this file”
Ensure you follow the next tips:
- Ensure the extension .GZ is properly associated with the software when you double click on the file.
- Check that you have installed at least one of the programs need to manage these files.
- Update the program to get the last version.
- Ensure you have all the computer privileges, you are admin or you have all needed privileges.
How to create a EMZ File
You can create it with any compression software. Also with GIMP and blender image and graphics programs.
How to Delete? Is it Safe?
You can delete it safely but you will loose all the multimedia data related or the compressed data.
About .gz extension
In filesextension.com we explain yo what is a file with the .gz suffix, how to edit, view, open and convert it.
The java active server pages format can be opened with the programs above in windows, mac and linux.
Contact us through the contact page if you have additional information, comment or need help about the GZ format or software related.