- Extension: .lnk
- File type: miscellanous
- Description: Windows Shortcut file definition
- Developer: Microsoft Windows
- Format: binary data
Problems Opening LNK Files? If you have a File with the .lnk Extension you need specific programs that can open, edit, view and convert this format type. Specific software like an editor, viewer or reader.
What is a .lnk File
A LNK file or Windows Shortcut files definition, presents graphics files saved in the Adobe Encapsulated PostScript graphics format.
LNK Files can have the following types:
- Windows Shortcut files: It is related to desktop program shortcuts in Windows OS. Every icon on desktop is a shortcut, represented by a .lnk file.
- 602Pro PC Suite files: It is used by 602Pro PC Suite.
- Advanced Revelation database files: For database files used by Revelation applications.
- Linker response files: It is sometimes used for files that contains programming language linkers (scripts).
- Playlist files: It is used by some applications for playlist.
- XNBC V8 Biological Neural Network Simulation Workstation link configuration Simulation and visualisation tool. Configuration link file contains all parameters of network architecture (nucleus architecture, links and etc..).
Programs to Open LNK Files
The first step is to use the double click method or tap in the file icon. If windows finds program associated with the extension LNK it will launch it.
If it doesn’t recognise it it means you don’t have installed the software needed for link Windows shortcut in your PC or mobile device.
You can use the following software to open, view, edit and convert:
- KMPlayer (Microsoft Windows)
- OpenInsight (Windows)
- 602PC Suite (Windows)
.lnk related extensions
How to open LNK Files
- First, find your .lnk file in your computer or mobile device.
- Then, you must double click on it if you are using a desktop computer, or tap on it with a mobile device.
- A drop down menu will appear with a list of programs to open with.
- Select one of the programs recommended above: KMPlayer, OpenInsight, 602PC Suite,
- Microsoft Windows
- Wait the software to launch.
- View the format.
- Save it if you want to keep it.
How to convert LNK Files
We don’t have any information about the conversion of this format or an online converter.
Problems opening LNK Files: Can’t open?
If you experience problems opening it, windows raises a message: “Microsoft Windows can’t open this file”
Ensure you follow the next tips:
- Ensure the extension .LNK is properly associated with the software when you double click on the file.
- Check that you have installed at least one of the programs need to manage these files.
- Update the program to get the last version.
- Ensure you have all the computer privileges, you are admin or you have all needed privileges.
How to create a LNK File
You can create it with these programs:
- Microsoft Windows
- 602PC Suite
How to Delete? Is it Safe?
You can delete it safely but you will loose the link to the folder, subfolder or archive.
About .LNK extension
In filesextension.com we explain yo what is a file with the .lnk suffix, how to edit, view, open and convert it.
The Windows Shortcut format can be opened with the programs above in windows, mac and linux.
Contact us through the contact page if you have additional information, comment or need help about the LNK format or software related.