- Extension: .p7m
- File type: encryption
- Description: encrypted type message
- Developer: Cryptigo
- Format: binary data
- Mime: application/pkcs7-mime
- Mime: application/x-pkcs7-mime PKCS #7 MIME Message (RFC 2311 MIME)
Problems Opening p7m Files? If you have a File with the .p7m Extension you need specific programs that can open, edit, view and convert this format type. Specific software like an editor, viewer or reader.
What is a .p7m File
An P7M file is an encrypted message.
P7M files S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) provides a consistent way to send and receive secure MIME data through files. Based on the popular Internet MIME standard, S/MIME provides the following cryptographic security services for electronic messaging applications: authentication, message integrity and non-repudiation of origin (using digital signatures) and privacy and data security (using encryption).
Programs to Open P7M Files
The first step is to use the double click method or tap in the file icon. If windows finds program associated with the extension P7M it will launch it.
If it doesn’t recognise it it means you don’t have installed the software needed for encrypted message type in your PC or mobile device.
You can use the following free viewers online, software and programs to open the files.
This file is usually part of a file attachment in a mail message. You will need the private key that matches the created public key of the original message.
.p7m related extensions
How to open P7M Files
- First, find your .p7m file in your computer or mobile device.
- Then, you must double click on it if you are using a desktop computer, or tap on it with a mobile device.
- A drop down menu will appear with a list of programs to open with.
- Select one of the programs recommended above:
- Wait the software to launch.
- View the format.
- Save it if you want to keep it.
How to convert a P7M File
We don’t have any information about P7M conversion or any online converter to other formats.
Problems opening P7M Files: Can’t open?
If you experience problems opening it, windows raises a message: “Microsoft Windows can’t open this file”
Ensure you follow the next tips:
- Ensure the extension .P7M is properly associated with the software when you double click on the file.
- Check that you have installed at least one of the programs need to manage these files.
- Update the program to get the last version.
- Ensure you have all the computer privileges, you are admin or you have all needed privileges.
How to create a P7M File
You can create it with the cryptigo software. Generate a public and a private key which will help you encrypt and decrypt the message.
How to Delete? Is it Safe?
You can delete it safely but you will loose the information of the original message.
About .p7m extension
In filesextension.com we explain yo what is a file with the .P7M suffix, how to edit, view, open and convert it.
The Firefox Browser Extension format can be opened with the programs above in windows, mac and linux.
Contact us through the contact page if you have additional information, comment or need help about the P7M format or software related.