- Extension: .TMP
- File type: Miscellanous
- Description: The Temporary file definition and 8 other types and linked programs information.
- Developer: N/A
- Format: binary data
What is a temporary file? Opening TMP Files? If you have a File with the .TMP Extension you need specific programs that can open, edit, view and convert this format type. Specific software like an editor, viewer, opener or reader.
What is a .TMP File in windows
A tmp file type in Windows is information that stores in a temporary file with the .tmp file extension.
It stores information in the short term if the operating system or an application can not allocate sufficient memory for all its tasks.
Applications and operating systems often generate temporary objects and tmp files specific to a session. Which means that they are created and used only during the current use of an application or operating system. Windows removes temporary objects and tmp files created by the operating system when the computer shuts down, as do most applications that use temporary suffix.
A tmp folder or temporary folder is data that an operating system like windows stores in short term. It is usually created during a process and deleted at the end of it.
Programs to Open TMP Files
The first step is to use the double click method or tap in the file icon. If windows finds a opener program associated with the extension It will launch it. If it doesn’t recognise it it means you don’t have installed the software needed for opening temporary files in your PC or mobile device.
- Price: Included with Microsoft Windows
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-notepad/9msmlrh6lzf3
- Price: Free
- Download: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/
- Price: Powerpoint Included with Microsoft Windows
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/powerpoint
- Price: Word is Included with Microsoft Windows
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/word
- Price: Excel is Included with Microsoft Windows
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/excel
How to Open TMP files
A tmp file can always be opened using the notepad and Notepad plus application; however, depending on the type, temporary objects may not be readable.
- First, right-click on the .tmp file you wish to open.
- Then, select “Open”.
- Then, choose “Notepad” from the list of available programs.
- Finally, click on the “Accept” option.
Other software openers,apps and programs to open tmp files
Open a tmp file In Microsoft Word
- First, launch microsoft word
- Then, Rename the tmp file to .doc or .docx
- Open it with Microsoft word
Open a tmp file in Microsoft Excel
- First, launch microsoft excel
- Then, Rename the .tmp files to .xls or .xlsx
- Open it with Microsoft Excel
Opening in Microsoft Powerpoint
- You can view it in PowerPoint with these steps.
- First, rename the .tmp files to .ppt or .pptx
- Open it with Microsoft Power Point
The file extension tmp is used by following type(s):
Default type: Temporary
The suffix is related to the temporary files used in Microsoft Windows.
AZZ Cardfile RTF data
AZZ Cardfile <(Microsoft Windows)
AZZ Cardfile text data
It is associated with the AZZ Cardfile application.
Programs that open tmp files:
- AZZ Cardfile (Microsoft Windows)
IMail Server web messaging
IMail Server Web Messaging or Mail to Beeper/Pager or Mail to Fax File
Programs that open tmp files:
- Imail Server (Windows)
Nero WaveEditor peak
It contains the volume peaks in edited sounds, audio object. Created, when the object is opening by Nero WaveEditor.
- Nero WaveEditor (Microsoft Windows)
Norton AntiVirus backed up
It is associated with the Norton Antivirus application.
- Norton Antivirus (Windows)
It is associated with Safedisc, a CD/DVD copy protection and digital rights management program for Windows applications and games, developed by Macrovision Corporation. The tmp used by SafeDisc version 1 and 2 are located on the game disk or game directory, such as 00000001.TMP.
SWAT temperature input
It is associated with the SWAT (Soil & Water Assessment Tool). Temperature input contains daily measured maximum and minimum temperatures for a measuring gage(s).
- SWAT (Microsoft Windows)
TMP file format
A tmp file with that ending is a type that is used as a temporary solution. They occur more frequently in the installation of a program. These temporary are created and stored until the program has completely installed all its applications.
These are used to store things in the programs before the information is stored correctly. For example, if you are writing something in Microsoft Word, it will be saved on the computer as a .tmp file until it is saved manually with a name and a .doc. Although most can not be opened in reality, one created for a Word document can usually be opened in that same program.
A type of .tmp has no effect on the execution of a program once it has been installed. It is only during the installation that some applications use the temporary files to prevent the memory of the operating system from becoming saturated.
Files with tmp format can be found on Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems. Some installation programs will delete temporary objects when they are finished. While others will leave them on the computer until they are manually deleted.
Although the temporal do not damage a computer, there have been memory resident viruses created with that format. There are also times when these are still being used by a system that has not completed the installation.
Do not open or delete one with this format before know where it comes from and what it does.
How to convert a TMP File online converter
There is not any universal online converter but you can convert it to another format easily.
There is no need of converters just rename it yourself.
Convert to MP4 online
- First, rename the suffix to .Mp4
- Then, no need of converter, just try to play it with your mp4 player
Convert to PDF online
- First, rename the suffix to .pdf
- Then, don’t need a converter, try to view it with your pdf reader.
- You can also do it online here
Convert to DOC online
- First, rename the suffix to .doc or .docx
- Then, try to view with your doc viewer or Microsoft Word.
Convert to JPG online
- First, rename the suffix to .jpg or .jpeg
- Then, try to view with your jpg viewer.
Convert to mp3 online
- First, rename the suffix to .mp3
- Then, try to play it with your mp3 player.
How to delete a tmp file, is it safe?
You shouldn’t delete tmp files or folders unless you are sure the process that created it have finished. You may be deleting important data.
Sometimes tmp files not deleting automatically use a lot of hard disk space.
But,before you remove it you must ensure there are not related to any important process. Is it not safe to remove it. If you are unsure don’t remove it.
Problems opening TMP Files: Can’t open
If you experience problems opening it, windows raises a message: “Microsoft Windows can’t open this file”
Ensure you follow the next opening tips:
- Ensure the extension is properly associated with the software when you double click on the file.
- Check that you have installed at least one of the programs need to manage these files.
- Update the program to get the last version of the opener.
- Ensure you have all the computer privileges, you are admin or you have all needed privileges.
- Try other openers
I get a fatal error: could not open lock file “/tmp/.s.pgsql.5432.lock”: permission denied
This is a problem related to the posgress app. The solution is to restart. You can find the detailed solution here.
About .TMP extension
In filesextension.com we explain what is a file with the .tmp suffix, how to edit, view, open and convert it.
The temporary files format can be opened with the programs above in windows, mac and linux.
Contact us through the contact page if you have additional information, comment or need help about the TMP File or software related.